Sunday, October 11, 2020

Game Brainstorm

 I’ve mentioned in my blog before that I'm not much of a gamer myself, so I think it's going to be pretty hard for me to come up with good game ideas. My plan here is to think of something that I know I would enjoy playing and to do this I’ll try to pull inspiration from my very limited gaming experience. My skillset in game creating isn't the most impressive (hopefully it will get better with this module) so I need to think of some games with a fairly basic concept that I can figure out.  

Game 1- 

My initial idea for a game is inspired by the game Subway Surfers, I used to play this a lot when I was younger and have recently downloaded the app again. I would love to design a game like this where you are running through a map, dodging some things and collecting items. Of course, I would want to make my game as unique as possible so I’m still not sure what setting or theme I would want to give my game. I have a few different scenes in mind, maybe a beach setting dodging people coming towards you, sandcastles and crabs while collecting things like beach balls, shells, sun cream and coins. Similar to subway surfers if you trip up slightly you will be chased, of course not by a train inspector but by the beach lifeguard. In subway surfers they have hoverboards and I’m thinking my version of this could be a surfboard. My other setting idea for this would be to have it set in a busy city where you are running through the roads, dodging cars instead of trains, collecting coins and other bonus items and you would be chased by a police officer instead of a train inspector. This game would also get faster the longer it goes on like it does in subway surfers as to make it more difficult without having to make additional levels. More info on subway surfers here- https://subwaysurfers.com/

  Subway Surfers (Video Game 2012) - IMDb

subway surfers Image source: https://images.app.goo.gl/QTpK14G1AFBKAYmt6


Game 2-  

For my second idea I’m thinking of a driving game. I would like it to be a little more creative than just driving through streets. I'm thinking more like Mario kart. I’d like to have my scene set up as a big race track and to make it even more difficult I would want it to be floating somewhere like in space so that you don’t only have to worry about winning the race but also about staying on the track (just like in the rainbow road race track). I don’t know if I would do it just the road the way they have it here or if I would do it like a floating chunk of earth so it's only on the edges you have to worry about falling off. I don’t want the game to be too difficult as I myself would like to be able to play it and I’ve never been particularly good on the rainbow road. I’d also like to be able to include a big jump somewhere on the track as I always found these to be pretty fun parts of the races.  More info on mario kart here- https://mariokarttour.com/en-GB

Rainbow Road Through the Years | Feature | Prima Games 

 

 Game 3-  

I recently remembered a game my brother and I used to play when I was younger, and it struck inspiration in me. For my third game idea I’m thinking of a game where you build rollercoasters in a Themepark. You are given different rails that you can put together in different ways to make all different rides. You would have different options of seats, colours and tracks which you can put together however you like. I got this idea from the game Rollercoaster Tycoon (pictured. Below). I used to love playing this and getting to be creative with putting the tracks together, trying to make them bigger and better every time After you build your rollercoaster your character will get to ride in it, and you can save it and carry on building more and more to expand and construct your Themepark to be your dream Themepark. More info on Rollercoaster Tycoon here- http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/

RollerCoaster Tycoon (video game) - Wikipedia 

rollercoaster tycoon Image source: https://images.app.goo.gl/jYeyEaRcaGLwjNHz5


Game 4-  

For my last game idea, I’m thinking of some sort of farming game. I’ve seen lots of these types of games over the years. In the game you would be given a patch of land and some starter seeds. You can then plant the seeds and they will grow overtime, when you harvest your crops you will receive coins and more seeds, you can use this to then buy more seeds and animals and continue to grow your farm. One game, along with many others that has inspired this idea is Farmville. I feel like this is a timeless sort of game, people don’t really get bored of it as its always growing and expanding. I would love my game to be as advanced as the other games out there like this but of course mine will be a simplified version of those. A simple plot of land where you can grow crops in exchange for more seeds and coins, to use for more land and equipment.  More info on Farmville here- https://www.zynga.com/games/farmville/

As of right now I'm not sure how advanced I’ll be able to make my game so I'm not sure which of my ideas (if any) is the most realistic. I’ll be really proud of myself if I can pull together any of the ideas I've listed here and I’m genuinely really looking forward to making one of them a reality, to learn and grow my game creating skillset.  


Thanks for reading :)

6 comments:

  1. Hey Sophie I really enjoyed reading this! Your game ideas are so cool! I am not much of a gamer either so I struggled to come up with game ideas also. Mario kart and Subway surfers have always been my favourite games! Im sure you'll be able to make a great game with some hard work and I look forward to playing it when its all completed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sophie, I enjoyed reading your game ideas as I remember playing some of the games, in which your ideas originated from.ie. subway surfers. I am looking forward to seeing what idea you decide to stick with. Your farm game idea is interesting, I think people will like it as in those games i'm so used to being asked to pay for coins to make my crop lands bigger. All the best, Denis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sophie, I just read your game idea research so thought I would come back and read what your other game ideas were. I think all the ideas were really good but the first two were definitely more doable so were right to go with the driving one. I used to love Subway Surfers and Mario Kart aswell and can see how both of them influenced your final game idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sophie I really enjoyed reading your game ideas, makes me think about being younger playing all these games. I think all the ideas you have make greats games but some are more doable then others. I think you should go with either the first or second idea as the coding ability for the third and fourth game are probably very high. Good luck with whatever game you go with!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Sophie , its Mia
    I really enjoyed reading your Game Idea Research. Your blog is written so well and the layout is great! I remember playing most of these games when I was younger. I loved Mario kart and subway surfers there the GOAT! I am looking forward to see which game idea you stick with.
    Best of luck this year.

    ReplyDelete

doing