Sunday, October 18, 2020

Game Idea Research

 The game idea I have decided to focus on is a driving game, I am choosing this one because I think it's the type of game that anyone can enjoy and most people would have some experience with something similar. I also think having done the first unity tutorial, this is something realistic that I can do while I'm still learning and getting used to designing my own game. My idea for this game, visually is to have it look like a race track has been pulled from the earth and is floating in space. I have found a series of youtube tutorials which I think will be super helpful for parts of my project heres one of them!- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMRhUK7bY7w.  I found this article called The Scientific Secrets To Designing The Perfect Racing Video Game, In this article it gives tips on how to improve the users experience and what to factor in when designing the track they will be driving on, for example they say to make the road a third bigger than it would be in real life to make it a little easier for the player but also to allow for the best camera angles on any twists and turns. 

The three game mechanics I would like to have in my game are:

Steering-

The player will have to navigate their way around the race track which will include many different twists, turns and ups and downs. I have some experience with this from the unity tutorials we have done so far but I'm hoping for this to be a little more complicated than the first driving game we made.

A Timer-

The timer will be in the corner of the screen and keep track of how long it takes you to get around the course and keep track of this so you can keep trying to beat your score each time!

Dangerous Driving - PS4 Review - PlayStation Country

Example of a game with a timer in the top right corner, found at-https://images.app.goo.gl/mY7ykCTqoyibYpWq5

Obstacles/items - 

While having to navigate your way around the course, there will also be items you need to avoid and some items you need to collect. The items to avoid will make it harder to get around and slow you down, I would like to make it so that the items you "collect" can boost your speed for a couple of seconds, similarly to the speed boost ramps in Mario Kart. 

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: Nine tips to give you a head start - Polygon
Speed ramp in mario kart, found at-https://images.app.goo.gl/XcTqfULtRsz7G8KZ7

I am really looking forward to creating this game and spending more time developing this idea into something I will hopefully be really proud of in the end. 
Thanks for reading :)

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sophie, just after reading your blog on your game idea it sounds great!. I was just wondering in terms of the items that the player must avoid what type of obstacles would it be?. What if you could add a star or a fireball on the road as the item that the car has to drive through to make it go faster. The link to the youtube video will be very helpful for when I start making my game. I liked that the game has a timer so the player can try and do better the next time that they play. The post also says the car will be going up and down what if the car got extra speed when it came down the hill and lasted a bit longer at being faster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sophie, Aoibhe here. I have just read your blog post on your game idea research. Seems like you put a lot of effort and research into it, Well Done! Your game idea sounds great, I love Mario cart so will be exited to play your version. I am just wondering will the player be able to control the speed of the car all the way around or will it just get faster when they go over the speed boost ramps? Also you spoke about there being two types of obstacles, ones to avoid and ones to collect, what if for the collectable ones you could collect stars/coins and it is an objection of the player to collect all of these items, you could have a bar at the top beside the timer showing how many they have collected. This could add to your game. I love the idea about the timer, I too will have the same on my game, letting the player see how fast or slow they are completing the game. This will add an element of fun & competition. I love your game idea and look forward to playing it! -Aoibhe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sophie! Just finished reading your game idea and think it will turn out really great. Like you said it's something everybody can enjoy. The way players will be collecting/avoiding obstacles reminds me of Mario Kart which you have also included a photo of. It's also simple and not overly complicated which I think will work out good for you. Hope it works out well and hopefully I will get to play it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sophie! Just finished reading your bog post, your idea is really cool. I think it will work out really well and be really enjoyable to play. like you said everyone has some form of experience with a driving game. I'm curious what the obstacles that the player will have to avoid will they be pother vehicles or like boxes or something along those lines. I hope it works well and hopefully I'll get a chance to play it.
    ~John

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sophie!
    I really love your game idea; I think it can be developed well and a really fun game to play! I really enjoy your writing because you describe everything really well and it was really easy to grasp and understand. It painted a picture in my mind! You can see through your writing that you've really thought about it. I am also doing a racing game but is different to yours. I love the idea of the items boosting your speed for a few seconds. Will the items you have to avoid be clear or will they be a guess? Will there be other cars racing as well or just your own? I Really enjoyed it overall, Best of luck! -Megan

    ReplyDelete

doing