Thursday, October 1, 2020

Growth Mindset

 I had never heard of Carol Dweck before this, I had never really heard of a fixed or growth mindset before either. I found this image on pinterest which I feel defines and explains the differences really well. I found this whole topic incredibly interesting, how just changing your mindset and your outlook on certain things can improve your life in so many ways 

Image found on pinterest - https://www.aot.edu.au/infographics/fixed-vs-growth-mindset/

In researching Carol Dweck and the growth mindset I came across a couple of quotes she said including " The whole idea of growth mindset is to say yes they can" and "Make challenge the new comfort zone". These quotes in particular reminded me of some youtubers I found a couple of years ago called Yes Theory. They promote the message to "Seek Discomfort" and to say yes to as many opportunities as possible, They do this through social media and by going out and meeting strangers and encouraging them to do the same. This leads to inspiring thousands to step out of their comfort zone and grow. Yes Theory is all about how just simply saying yes to new things can lead to more and more great opportunities and i think this is a great mindset to have. Seeking discomfort, facing challenges and saying yes are all part of the growth mindset. 

In terms of where I stand on the the topic, I'd like to think I'm more on the growth mindset end of the spectrum, however I know I can be guilty of having quite a fixed mindset when it comes to certain things. I think having done some reading, watching and listening on the subject now I have a better understanding of what it means to have a growth mindset I'm going to be more careful and try to ensure I'm thinking a certain way. I do think my mindset has improved over the past few years, when I was younger I was very fixed on making sure i got good grades and that i did everything perfectly, no room for error. Thankfully I can feel how my mindset has changed without me really realising until now, I can understand now that mistakes are okay and are part of the learning process, I no longer strive to just get good grades, now I actually want to understand and explore the things I'm learning and if I don't get a perfect score I'm okay with that.

I want to continue to work on being more open to a growth mindset and therefore allow myself to find more opportunities and hopefully take this into every aspect of my life to become a better student, worker, and just a better overall person to improve my life, learn, grow and enjoy new things.

Thanks for reading :)

1 comment:

  1. spicy comment incoming, yeah found the blog very interesting to read, good-luck with growing your mindset i guess

    ReplyDelete

doing